Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A non-book challenge

Reading and writing are my first loves so it makes sense I would love to write letters. The feel of cool papers under the pen, different shades of ink and different thickness of pen, envelopes and the joy of sending something physical into the world makes me happy.

In high school a friend and I used to write letters to each other under pen names from Shakespeare - she was Portia and I was Beatrice. We had a great doing it but it died off once we went away to colleges across the country from one another (I know, I know, it seems like it should have gotten stronger with distance but it didn't and college is full of distractions). While that correspondence died out, I still love sending notes. Thank you notes, birthday cards, just thinking of you notes, etc. make my day.

While doing my daily blog rounds I found this on Lynn Viehl's blog and have to participate.

"In the month of February, mail at least one item through the post every day it runs. Write a postcard, a letter, send a picture, or a cutting from a newspaper, or a fabric swatch. Write back to everyone who writes to you. This can count as one of your mailed items. All you are committing to is to mail 23 items. Why 23? There are four Sundays and one US holiday. In fact, you might send more than 23 items. You might develop a correspondence that extends beyond the month."

Any of my friends who have not yet received an email or text requesting an address but would like to receive a piece of the action should contact me because I probably just forgot to you on the email.

Anyone up for a challenge should join! I think this will be great fun - there's something special about getting something in the mail you. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there--I love mail, so this post made me perk up my ears. Two things that might interest you: Postcrossing for postcards, and Swapbot does a lot of swaps that are just letters or postcards as well, and you can set up themed ones, too! I used to be very active there, and I hosted fairy tale swaps, crafts based on children's books, etc. Worth checking out sometime if you're not familiar with them. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wendy! Thanks for stopping by again! Postcrossing and Swapbot sound very cool - I love sending post so I'm going to check these out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete